4A - Forming An Opportunity Belief
4A - Forming An Opportunity Belief
The unmet need I choose is the need for faster food delivery. I usually order food on Bite Squad or Ricepo, which are both food delivery app in Gainesville. However, the average time I need to wait for my food is 90 minutes. Moreover, I remember the longest time I wait for my food was two hours, and I was so hungry that I already made myself a noodle during the waiting time.
Almost everybody may order a food delivery when they are at home, at the workplace, or the party. I believe many customers have faced the same problem as me. People go to restaurants or make food by themselves when they feel the waiting time is too long. I think that offering a choice for paying a premium fee for faster delivery on these apps is a way to solve this problem. I'm 70% sure that the opportunity exists. The prototypical customer can be anyone who wants to eat.
#1. My roommate Kevin, 3rd year, Computer Science major.
1. Do you need faster food delivery?
No, Lack of need for food delivery, I always make food by myself.
2. When do you become aware of the need for faster food delivery services?
Last time I ordered the food, it took almost an hour and a half.
3. How long have you wanted faster delivery?
Always, if it's free.
4. When did you first become aware of the need for faster delivery? Why?
Also the last order I made.
5. How are you currently treating this problem? How satisfied are you with this solution?
Make food by myself during the waiting time, quite satisfied.
#2. My computer game friend Josh, 4th year, English major.
1. Do you need faster food delivery?
Yes. Always.
2. When do you become aware of the need for faster food delivery services?
Every time I order it.
3. How long have you wanted faster delivery?
three years.
4. When did you first become aware of the need for faster delivery? Why?
When once I really wanted to eat a hamburger, the food arrived two hours later.
5. How are you currently treating this problem? How satisfied are you with this solution.
Waiting. Not satisfied at all. Eating snacks during the waiting time.
#3. Steve, 24 years old, in a computer-related internship right now.
1. Do you need faster food delivery?
Yes.
2. When do you become aware of the need for faster food delivery services?
When I get really hungry.
3. How long have you wanted faster delivery?
Half a year.
4. When did you first become aware of the need for faster delivery? Why?
There was one time that I really want to eat Gator Suyaki, although I was not that hungry, I just wanted the food to come as soon as possible.
5. How are you currently treating this problem? How satisfied are you with this solution?
Eating some snacks. Not so satisfied.
Reflection
People who go to kitchen less have more need for faster food delivery. Most people still want to stay home to wait for their food, which means they may be willing to pay a premium fee for faster food delivery if they really want their food to arrive earlier than expected.
Summary
The need exists, and the opportunity also exists. People hardly cancel their order during the waiting time. They always have prepared to wait for the food. If a chance that they can get the food quicker by paying extra money, I believe some customers will pick the chance. The only challenge here will probably be how to arrange those customers choose not to use the premium services. If a normal customer who orders food earlier than a premium customer, but the premium customer gets his food earlier than the other one, normal customers may come up with some disputes about the fairness. So, the solution for this is to show the estimated time, with premium and without premium, which can give customers a preparation in their mind before they make the order.
The unmet need I choose is the need for faster food delivery. I usually order food on Bite Squad or Ricepo, which are both food delivery app in Gainesville. However, the average time I need to wait for my food is 90 minutes. Moreover, I remember the longest time I wait for my food was two hours, and I was so hungry that I already made myself a noodle during the waiting time.
Almost everybody may order a food delivery when they are at home, at the workplace, or the party. I believe many customers have faced the same problem as me. People go to restaurants or make food by themselves when they feel the waiting time is too long. I think that offering a choice for paying a premium fee for faster delivery on these apps is a way to solve this problem. I'm 70% sure that the opportunity exists. The prototypical customer can be anyone who wants to eat.
#1. My roommate Kevin, 3rd year, Computer Science major.
1. Do you need faster food delivery?
No, Lack of need for food delivery, I always make food by myself.
2. When do you become aware of the need for faster food delivery services?
Last time I ordered the food, it took almost an hour and a half.
3. How long have you wanted faster delivery?
Always, if it's free.
4. When did you first become aware of the need for faster delivery? Why?
Also the last order I made.
5. How are you currently treating this problem? How satisfied are you with this solution?
Make food by myself during the waiting time, quite satisfied.
#2. My computer game friend Josh, 4th year, English major.
1. Do you need faster food delivery?
Yes. Always.
2. When do you become aware of the need for faster food delivery services?
Every time I order it.
3. How long have you wanted faster delivery?
three years.
4. When did you first become aware of the need for faster delivery? Why?
When once I really wanted to eat a hamburger, the food arrived two hours later.
5. How are you currently treating this problem? How satisfied are you with this solution.
Waiting. Not satisfied at all. Eating snacks during the waiting time.
#3. Steve, 24 years old, in a computer-related internship right now.
1. Do you need faster food delivery?
Yes.
2. When do you become aware of the need for faster food delivery services?
When I get really hungry.
3. How long have you wanted faster delivery?
Half a year.
4. When did you first become aware of the need for faster delivery? Why?
There was one time that I really want to eat Gator Suyaki, although I was not that hungry, I just wanted the food to come as soon as possible.
5. How are you currently treating this problem? How satisfied are you with this solution?
Eating some snacks. Not so satisfied.
Reflection
People who go to kitchen less have more need for faster food delivery. Most people still want to stay home to wait for their food, which means they may be willing to pay a premium fee for faster food delivery if they really want their food to arrive earlier than expected.
Summary
The need exists, and the opportunity also exists. People hardly cancel their order during the waiting time. They always have prepared to wait for the food. If a chance that they can get the food quicker by paying extra money, I believe some customers will pick the chance. The only challenge here will probably be how to arrange those customers choose not to use the premium services. If a normal customer who orders food earlier than a premium customer, but the premium customer gets his food earlier than the other one, normal customers may come up with some disputes about the fairness. So, the solution for this is to show the estimated time, with premium and without premium, which can give customers a preparation in their mind before they make the order.
Hi Yida,
ReplyDeleteI agree that there is a lot of opportunity for improvement in the food delivery sector but one must remember that it is a relatively new industry and many of the food delivery companies are still working out the kinks in their process. Your idea of charging a premium rate for faster food delivery is a great idea and could jumpstart the process of companies focusing more on service rather than a profit. I enjoyed the detail of your post and the formatting. Keep up the good work!
Yida,
ReplyDeleteFast food delivery is certainly a hot topic nowadays. Like Burns mentions in the previous comment, it certainly is a newer industry and typically, these kinds of things take trial and error, as well as adjustments according to what the public desires. I loved your idea about these delivery apps offering a premium fee for those who wish to receive their food a little quicker. The problem you bring up is very common. I myself have experienced these lengthy waits for delivery, and it has always frustrated me. The need definitely exists, and certainly beyond just the scope of college students.
Hi Yida,
ReplyDeleteThis food delivery problem is in my list too. I had exactly the same experience with you except my waiting time was three hours and the food were cold. No doubt that it is a opportunity for a better delivery company. As we all know, the food delivery system in china is way better than it is here. One of the most important reason is that labor fee is so high here, and people live separately. However, challenge always come with opportunity. I believe it will success if doing it in a right way.